Managed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), permanent residence (PR) status is the most sought after immigration pathways amongst skilled workers and professionals in India. The economic class streams under Express Entry system – management of online profiles in the Express Entry pool – offer opportunities to secure Canadian PR. The Canada PR requirements for Indians are different for three streams of Express Entry – Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).
After fulfilling Canada PR requirements for Indians, foreign skilled workers and professionals can secure five years’ multiple entry visas to work and stay in Canada. It is important to note that the Canada PR visa remains valid for a maximum of five years and can be renewed or transitioned from PR to Canadian citizenship after completing regular stay in Canada for three years.
What is Eligibility Criteria to Get Canada PR from India?
The basic requirement for all three Express Entry streams are mentioned below -
- To become eligible to enter Express Entry pool, score of 67 points out of FSWP 100-points grid.
- Relevant work experience for FSWP and FSTP categories and Canadian work experience for CEC category. It is important to note that the work experience must match the requirements, skills and knowledge defined for occupations mentioned in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) list. Another important aspect is that the work experience should be of one year (in the last ten years) in regular, paid and NOC level skilled jobs. The part time job or combination of part time jobs are considered, provided they are regular, paid and NOC compliant ones.
- Language proficiency. Applicants must submit a score of International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Ideally, applicants must try to get a maximum score (band) in all modules of IELTS – speaking, writing, reading and listening to gain good points. It is important to note that the IELTS score remains valid only for two years after announcement of results. Hence, applicants must ensure at the time of creating an online Express Entry profile that the IELTS score should be valid for at least next one year so that the visa application processing is not impacted at any stage.
- Education that meets the standards of Canadian education or is equivalent to the Canadian education system.
- Proof of funds must be in the name of the applicant so that they have legal access to the money. It ensures that new immigrants will be able to settle in Canada and have sufficient finances for sustenance. The proof of funds is not required if applicants have a valid job offer (letter) or Arranged Employment Offer (AEO) from Canadian employers.
- Good health.
- Willingness to work and stay in Canada.
What is 67 Points Canada PR Eligibility Criteria from India?
In order to enter the Express Entry pool or qualify for the Express Entry system, applicants must gain 67 points out of 100 points under the points-based system, especially for FSWP. The points are allocated according to certain human capital factors, which are given below -
- Age - 12 points
- Education - 25 points (maximum)
- Relevant work experience that matches with NOC job skills - 15 points (maximum)
- Language proficiency or IELTS score - 28 points (maximum)
- Adaptability - 10 points (maximum)
- Valid job offer (letter) or AEO – 10 points (maximum)
Which documents are required to meet Canada PR requirements for Indians?
Applicants must submit a set of supporting documents to strengthen claims mentioned in the Express Entry profile. The list of important and relevant documents required to meet Canada PR eligibility from India are mentioned below –
- Proof of identity and age
- Proof of education or industrial training or apprentice (if any). Academic transcripts are mandatory.
- World Education Services (WES) evaluation report
- Proof of relevant work experience. Work experience certificate from previous employers on the organisation's letterhead is mandatory.
- Proof of funds only in the prescribed formats
- Valid passport
- Valid job offer (if any)
- Medical reports
- Police clearance certificate (clean records)
- Canadian work experience certificate (for CEC category candidates)
Started in 2015, the application management system of Express Entry system evaluates online applications in a pool on the basis of human capital factors like age, education, skill, training, relevant work experience in NOC skilled jobs, valid offer letter or AEO issued by Canadian employer, language ability, Canadian work experience (only for CEC category), enough funds and so on. Many Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) are also aligned with the Express Entry system and are called ‘enhanced PNP’. All profiles in the Express Entry pool receive points on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) scale. Candidates having the highest CRS score or the cut-off CRS points get Invitation To Apply (ITA) from the IRCC. Selected candidates must submit visa applications along with a set of supporting documents in the next 60 days to IRCC. After 60 days from the date of issue, the ITA becomes invalid. Applicants are free to update their Express Entry profiles during this duration. The IRCC evaluates applications and approves eligible candidates to secure PR status in Canada within six months. The Express Entry draws are conducted twice in a month or every fifteen days by the IRCC.
How much Fee should be Deposited by Applicants who Meet Canada PR Requirements for Indians?
The application processing fee for Express Entry applicants are mentioned below –
- Processing fee ($850 CAD) and right of permanent residence fee ($515 CAD) - $1365 CAD
- Application (without right of permanent residence fee) - $850 CAD
- For spouse or common-law partner - $1365 CAD
- Application for spouse or common-law partner (without right of permanent residence fee) - $850 CAD
- Dependent child - $230 CAD (per child)
Benefits for Applicants who Meet Canada PR Requirements for Indians
Applicants who fulfil Canada PR eligibility from India certainly are at an advantageous position. The Canadian PR holders receive below-mentioned benefits -
- Five years’ multiple entries visa
- Right to work for spouse or common-law partner
- Access to free of cost education for dependent children
- Provision of free of cost healthcare and social services for new immigrants and their families
- Opportunities to work in developed economy
- Enhance professional knowledge and career graph