South Africa is a culturally diverse nation that welcomes a huge number of immigrants every year from across the globe. South Africa is home to mix culture, religions and customs. South Africa’s constitution has given recognition to eleven official languages. This makes the country the most popular immigration destination in the world. Hence, the government also realized that skills need to help grow the country and ultimately support the economic growth of the nation may have to be attracted from outside the country’s borders, and with this in mind the Critical Skills Permit/Visa was implemented. This visa aims to attract international talent and experience to specific areas requiring development on South African shores. As one of the fastest growing countries on the African continent with the most progressive laws more and more qualified migrants are establishing themselves here and are at the forefront of the country’s development boom.
Specifics of the Critical Skilled Visa
- This visa falls in the temporary residency visa stream and allows foreign nationals to legally live and work in the country for a period of up to five years.
- Visa is granted on the basis if an applicant is able to prove that they hold the experience and qualifications needed in that specific field of occupation listed on the critical skills list of more than 200 occupations for which this skills shortage exists.
- The applicant will not need a job offer to apply for this visa.
- Under this visa, the holder must secure employment in his specific field, for which this visa was granted, within 12 months.
- The applicant need not obtain a letter of recommendation from the Department of Labour.
- The visa also offers the bearer the option to apply for permanent residency in the country on certain conditions. But it can be applied straight away if the applicant can prove more than 5 years’ experience in their field of expertise.
How to qualify for this visa
- The applicant should be able to prove sufficient knowledge and qualifications to fill a position on the critical skills list.
- The applicant’s occupation must be evaluated and recognized by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- Any foreign qualification must be assessed by SAQA and translated into one of the Republic’s eleven official languages.
Occupational categories under the Critical Skilled Visa
- Agricultural Operations and related sciences
- Architecture and the Built Environment
- Business, Economics and Management Studies
- Information Communications & Technology
- Health Professionals and Related Clinical Sciences
- Life and Earth Sciences
- Professional and Associate Professionals
- Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)
- Academics and researchers
Use our free service to find out whether you could qualify for this visa. Fill out the assessment form. Make sure that all information provided is authentic in order to make a proper assessment.
We are not a placement agency, we are Consultants. We do not provide/guarantee/assure jobs, we do not arrange for any direct employment through employers. We use technology, resources and our internal expertise to market your resume to overseas employers on your behalf.